I actually got this recipe years ago from Maw Maw (that’s grandmother for all the non-Southerners). I made this for the first time back when I was working at Bed, Bath, & Beyond between high school and college. So you know, just a couple years ago. I guess I was nicer back then and made pies for people I hardly knew at a summer retail job. One woman tasted it and exclaimed that it was better than sex. I don’t know what kind of sex she was having, but obviously this became the new name when my sister and I talk about the pie.
It’s actually a Coconut Caramel Pie, but it’s delicious and easy to make. The recipe makes two deep dish pies. I thought I could easily cut it, but then I didn’t know what to do with half a can of sweetened condensed milk. I could have sworn that I made this with deep dish graham cracker crusts, but those were nowhere to be found. The freezer section had deep dish, but that just didn’t feel right. I texted my grandmother, but didn’t see her response before I checked out. I ended up with a 10 inch graham crust, instead of the standard 9 inch, and some mini ones on the side. This is the exact reason why I barely bake. I just start winging it, and that’s the opposite of what you want. I ended up filling a 10 inch pie and three minis.
Coconut Caramel Pie
Makes 2 Deep Dish Pies (or other random combinations decided in the grocery aisles)
1/2 stick Butter
7 oz Shredded coconut
1 cup Pecans, chopped or just crushed with aggression
1 can (14 oz) Sweetened condensed milk
8 oz Cream cheese
8 oz Cool whip
1 Jar Caramel sauce
- If you purchased pecan halves instead of pre-chopped, throw those babies in a plastic bag and give it a few hits.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the coconut and pecans to toast. Stir occasionally.
- In a bowl, whip the cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, and cool whip together.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the pie crust with the pecan/coconut mixture, drizzle caramel, and add a cream layer.
- Repeat layering and finish with the pecan/coconut mixture and a generous drizzle of caramel
- Freeze overnight and remove 10-15 minutes before slicing
- Keep away from small hands reaching over the table
Gluten Free Modifications:
- Crust- Make or buy your own. I found gluten free graham cracker crusts in the baking aisle at my grocery store and Target
- Caramel- Check your ingredients or make your own