St. Patrick’s Day is next week, so you better start practicing your jig! If that seems a little ambitious, this cabbage recipe is a much easier way to embrace the Irish. I served it with corned beef, but it can be a side dish for just about anything. We’ve also had it on New Year’s Day for the traditional good luck dinner. The best part is that it’s super easy!
Nana’s Spicy Cabbage
1 Medium head of cabbage
1 Medium onion
1 Large carrot
1 Cup of chicken stock (or vegetable)
1/4 Cup oil
1/8 Tsp Red pepper flakes
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Cut the cabbage into chunks, cut the carrot into coins, and chop the onion
- Grease a 9 x 13 (or larger) dish
- Place all ingredients in the dish and stir enough to mix together
- Cover the dish in foil and cook for 1 hour
- Stir, replace foil, and cook 1 hour
- Remove foil and increase the oven to 400 degrees
- Roast for 15 min until vegetables brown
- If you run out of time, you can cook everything on the stove top and then add to the oven to roast.
- Double check your stock, but this should be gluten, dairy, soy, nut, and basically everything free. If you use vegetable stock, it’s vegetarian friendly as well!
- You can season to taste and add more red pepper flakes to crank up the heat. I didn’t go overboard since my son would be eating it.